Very nice conversion. Our German-language review can be found in our recorded livestream starting at 05:18:25. Subscription to our YouTube or Twitch channel is welcome. 🙂
A downloadable game
This is a (successful) attempt by jotd to create a 1:1 port of the famous arcade game on Amiga 500 using 100% 68k assembly.
- any 68k CPU
- Kickstart 1.3, 1MB memory
- Kickstart 2.0, 1MB memory
- original portrait layout, visual & sounds
- faithful enemy behaviour & speed & increasing difficulty
- 50 frames per second (PAL) even on a 68000 A500
- all levels
- joystick/joypad controlled (port 1) or keyboard controls (arrows + ctrl + alt), P pauses
- 2 player mode (still using joystick in port 1)
- 2/3 button joystick and CD32 joypad support
- can run directly from shell or from whdload (fast machines/high-end configurations)
- joystick directions/arrows: move player
- control/left alt/fire button/second button: start game
- P/third button (3 joystick button)/play button (cd32): pause
- F10 (or quitkey): quit (and save scores)
- two button joystick/joypad: fire to shoot, second button to bomb
- one button joystick: fire to shoot and bomb
- when game is about to start (intro music playing), press any
direction to change controls. If a cd32 joypad is connected, two button
mode is selected by default. Also, if keyboard is used to launch bombs,
it also selects two-button mode.
If game is started using bomb or second button, two-button mode is also
- when the game prompts "one player only", move the joystick to switch to "two players"
HOW TO PLAY:
- all levels: shoot/bomb everything! don't miss fuel tanks to avoid running out of fuel
- level 1: avoid landscape and flying rockets
- level 2: shoot UFOs
- level 3: avoid fireballs
- level 4: same as 1, just more difficult
- level 5: navigate up and down without hitting the walls
- level 6: destroy base
If you complete all the levels, game restarts at level 1, but this
time fuel decreases faster.
- Jean-Francois Fabre (aka jotd): code and gfx/sfx conversion
- hajodick (EAB): game map rips from the arcade
- Andrzej Dobrowolski (aka no9, from EAB): music & sfx loops (plus sfx advice)
- Scott Tunstall: brilliant reverse engineering work of the arcade version
- Frank Wille (aka phx): sfx/module player (and of course vasm assembler!)
- ross (from EAB): help with screen centering
- 125scratch: sprite rips https://www.spriters-resource.com/arcade/scramble
- DanyPPC: icon
- meynaf: random routine
- eab.abime.net forum: useful advice, invaluable testing & support
- konami: original game :)
- level 4/5 filler bricks are inverted (brick then square) in the bottom section
or is it the odd/even tile pattern? well, who cares? not me.
- when a highscore is entered, the flashing doesn't work that well
- fireball stage fireballs are flickering on some configs (maybe ok now)
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Fixed scrolling issues & small optimizationsFeb 20, 2023
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
With Your latest update, Now It works correctly (without scrolling problems) on a real A500 68000 512k+512k and a Gotek Drive (ADF).
For More security, I try it too on another A500 68000 with my ACA500Plus on some configs (@7, @14 & @ 28 Mhz) under WHDLoad install=> It works without any Problems too.
exellent fee free to do a moon patrol or mr do :) top port on this one A1+
Thank you so much for the great job
Woop woop!!! Featured this game right from day 1!
This update with 2-player is just as playing the arcade! Simply perfect.
Thank you man.
This and River Raid are the games I wanted for the Amiga.
Thank you jotd,
I'm blown away by your arcade ports!
Another perfect conversion. Thanks :)
Really enjoying these arcade ports - would be good to talk to you for Retro Gamer, especially about your Amiga Game Jam entries. Get in touch @merman1974 on Twitter
I just registered to twitter. I'm following you now you can message me